Strawberry Hearts Cake Mix Cookies
- For the cookies:
- 3 cups strawberry cake mix (1 box?)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- flour, for rolling/cutting out hearts
- For the filling:
- 1 cup butter, at room temp
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2-4 tbsp heavy cream, as needed
- Beat butter in the bowl of your stand mixer (or a bowl with a hand mixer) until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, followed by the cake mix. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until firm enough to roll out.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Remove half of the dough and roll out on a well-floured surface (seriously, don’t be stingy with the flour. You don’t want your hearts to stick to the table!) to ¼ inch thickness. Cut out hearts with a cookie cutter and place cookies at least 2 inches apart on parchment-lined cookie sheets. Repeat with rest of cookie dough.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until edges just begin to brown.The centers should still look undercooked. Remove from oven and let cool on pan for 2 minutes before gently removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For filling: Beat butter for a full three minutes until pale and fluffy, then beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until thick frosting comes together. Beat in cream as needed to adjust the consistency.
- Spread thick layer of buttercream on each cookie and then top with sprinkles, if desired.