You may very well be reading this post from the comforts of your home; I know I’ll be hiding out inside all day today due to what seems to be the millionth snowpocalypse of 2014.
I mean really, snow: you have seriously over-stayed your welcome. We write songs about you and talk about how pretty you are all December long…
IT’S TIME FOR YOU TO GO.
Stop hogging the spotlight already.
Oh, what’s that? You are sharing with your friend “freezing rain” today?
Well, gee, thanks for that. That’s exactly who I was thinking about when I wished you would let the other weather types come out to play.
Psst! Snow! I meant SUNLIGHT AND WARMTH.
I promise I am officially done personifying the snow and all its stupidity.
Instead, I shall ramble on for the rest of this post about the glory that is the Nutella Swirl Banana Bread Muffin.
And when I say glory, I mean a spotlight from the heavens shines down on these muffins, with choirs of angels singing praises of the marriage between chocolatey nutella and cozy, heartwarming banana bread.
They are indeed that good.
If you are in fact stuck inside today because of the ridiculous weather, take a half hour to make these muffins. You will have the best breakfast (or snack) imaginable to eat all weekend long.
Unless you are one of those people…celebrating Valentine’s Day…
(cue eye roll from your narrator)
Just kidding. I may be single for this February 14th, but that doesn’t mean I am not surrounded by wonderful loved ones and sweet, kind friends. If it were not “weathering” everywhere, I would absolutely share these muffins with them all as a big “thank you” for being so wonderful.
As it stands I will be hiding out on Friday, watching the entire season of House of Cards, wishing I had Robin Wright’s hair and eating as much avocado toast as is humanly possible.
Trust me when I say that is a lot of avocado toast.
So I hope you stay warm and cozy during what I hope is the last snowstorm of the season. If you need help, throw on the biggest sweatshirt you have, along with your fuzziest slippers, and whip up these muffins!
I’ll be back on Monday with a recipe that is sure to bring some sunshine into your morning routine. 🙂
Nutella Swirl Banana Bread Muffins
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 3 large bananas, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and grease/line one 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray or paper liners.
- Brown your butter: add butter to small saucepan and heat over medium-high heat, stirring constantly once it’s melted. Continue heating butter and stirring constantly, until butter foams and then finally turns a rich caramel-brown. Take off heat immediately and let cool until ready to use.
- Add chopped bananas to a medium microwaveable safe bowl and microwave for 3 minutes or until soft. Mash roughly with a fork and set aside.
- Whisk together milk and egg in a small bowl. Once butter is cool, stir into milk and egg mixture.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Pour wet ingredient mixture over flour mixture and stir with large wooden spoon until a few streaks of flour remain. Fold in bananas.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 way full with muffin mixture, then add one tsp of nutella to the top of each muffin. Swirl into the batter with a toothpick, then bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes, until muffins spring back when gently pressed with your finger or a toothpick inserted in center comes out with only a few crumbs attached.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before carefully removing to wire rack to cool completely
Yields 12 muffins