So remember those lovely roasted tomatoes I made last week???
Wait, you don’t? Because it was a boring recipe? Well I know it was sort of blah in comparison to these donuts or these cookies BUT
hear me out.
They were just PHASE ONE of a delicious recipe.
Phase one of a muffin that can absolutely, positively be your next quick lunch fix.
This Monday I bring you….
The BLT MUFFIN!!
Cheers! Applause! Ooohs and Ahhhs!
Just humor me and pretend that you uttered any of those sounds just mentioned.
I love BLTs – though I sort of love any sandwich with bacon on it – but I don’t often have time to make BLTs before running to class or between shifts at work. Also, BLTs should be enjoyed as soon as they’re made; otherwise weird wilty lettuce and soggy tomato-juice bread.
Who the hell wants that hot soggy mess?
So I’ve created a muffin that lets you enjoy all the savory splendor that is the BLT in a storable, portable, great-at-room-temp-able muffin.
First on the gourmet ingredients list: oven-roasted tomatoes, followed by lots and lot of…
…you guessed it:
Because everything is better with
sprinkles bacon. Lots and lots of bacon.
And what if we take the bacon fat and saute the spinach with it?
Andddddddddd (I know I’m not supposed to start sentences with and – sue me I’m excited about these muffins) what if half the fat in the muffin is pure
yes. Yes. YESSSS.
I felt like a mad bacon scientist when I was whipping these up. Now before any of you become concerned with how much bacon is in this (why would anyone freak out about bacon?!) let me just say that the amount of fat in the entire recipe is 1/4 cup. One quarter of a cup is equal to 4 tbsp, so only 2 tbsp of bacon fat spanning the deliciousness of 12 muffins.
Breathe your sigh of relief – you can have your bacon and eat it too. 😉
Plus the spinach has to count for something…right?
Right. Oh and tomatoes have lots of nutrients, and they even have some you can only properly absorb once cooked so bam:
extra nutrients in your muffins!
It’s because I love you all so much teehee.
I can honestly say that these muffins got me through the majority of last week. When it gets hectic I often forget to make lunch, and forget about buying it at the student center. I don’t care what you’re putting in that quesadilla $10 is an INSANE price to charge.
Unless it has truffles in it or something, but it doesn’t so boo to you Rutgers Student Center.
I’ll stick with my BLT Muffins.
And I hope you will too!
See you tomorrow with a fancy/schmancy dinner recipe!
Bacon, Spinach & Roasted Tomato Muffins
Source: Original Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 (about 6-8 slices) bacon, cooked (reserve bacon drippings) and crumbled/chopped
- 1 heaping cup fresh baby spinach, sauteed in a little bacon fat until wilted
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup roasted tomatoes, room temp
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line one 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, 2 tbsp bacon fat, egg, and milk. Add in spinach and whisk until evenly dispersed.
- Pour wet ingredient mixture over dry ingredient mixture and stir with wooden spoon until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Gently fold in bacon crumbles and roasted tomatoes.
- Scoop/pour 1/4 cup of muffin mixture into prepared muffin pan.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for a few minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
All Photos And Writing Copyright © 2013 Jessica Gonzalez | On Sugar Mountain