I have a special treat for you today; my good friend Ashley from Cookie Monster Cooking has made you all muffins! And we all know how much I adore muffins. 😉
Take it away Ashley!
Hi there! I’m Ashley from Cookie Monster Cooking and I am so excited to be guest posting for Jess today!
Especially since I have some delicious muffins to share with you. Plus, they have some whole wheat flour which means they are perfectly acceptable to shove in your face as you run out the door for breakfast. And there’s dark chocolate involved, which makes them even better, yes?
So lately I’ve been in a huge breakfast rut. I’ve been meh about oatmeal. Blah about my long-standing toast with peanut or almond butter. No love for greek yogurt topped with fruit. None of it is doing anything for me these days. I love breakfast (read I am hangry in the morning and you don’t want to be around me until I’ve had coffee and then something to eat) but the funk wouldn’t go away.
So I decided it was time to make some new muffins to nix that funkiness. And these babies certainly did the trick. To the point where I’ve made numerous batches just to freeze so I have some ready to go at all times. Priorities.
Plus, you can feel pretty good about these muffins. There’s plenty of whole wheat flour, coconut oil and only honey and pure maple syrup to sweeten them up. The combination of lime, coconut and dark chocolate makes these feel a little different … maybe even slightly tropical.
And since no tropical vacation is happening anytime soon, I’ll just settle for my muffins. While I sip a giant cup of coffee and pretend that I’m on some awesome trip. Enjoy!
Lime, Dark Chocolate and Coconut Muffins
Yield: about 12 muffins
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil*
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 tablespoon lime zest (from about 2 limes)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut, plus extra for sprinkling**
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin pan with liners and set aside.
- Whisk together both kinds of flour, the baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. In another medium bowl, whisk together the egg, coconut oil, milk, honey, maple syrup, vanilla extract, coconut extract and lime zest. Add to the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold in the chocolate chips and coconut.
- Divide the batter evenly in the prepared muffin tins, filling each about ⅔ of the way full. Sprinkle the tops with additional shredded coconut, if desired.
- Bake for about 14 to 16 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool for about 5 minutes, then remove the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
*Make sure that you melt the coconut oil first and then measure out the correct amount (otherwise you may use too much).
**You can also use unsweetened coconut flakes. I like to pulse them a few times in the food processor to get them to break down a bit.