Devil’s Food Cupcakes with Wicked Red Velvet Frosting
A little bit creepy but a whole lot of classy, these Devil’s Food Cupcakes with Wicked Red Velvet Frosting are sure to complete any Halloween party.
Yields: approximately 1 1/2 dozen cupcakes
- For the cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
- black candies/sprinkles, if desired
- For the Red Velvet Buttercream:
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup red velvet cake mix (just the powder mix, not prepared)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- !Bake the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2-12 cup muffin pans with paper liners. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together oil and both sugars until well combined. Whisk in eggs and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredient mixture over dry ingredient mixture and mix, then carefully stir in hot water until smooth.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 way full with batter (you should get about 18 cupcakes) and bake at 350 for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes then carefully remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- !Make the Buttercream:
- Sift together the cake mix, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar.
- Beat butter for a full three minutes, or until pale and fluffy. Then, beat in 1 cup of powdered sugar mixture at a time until thick frosting comes together.
- Add in vanilla and half of cream and beat until fluffy. If needed, beat in rest of heavy cream until frosting reaches desired consistency.
- Pipe or dollop frosting onto cooled cupcakes and top with any desired sprinkles or candies.