Coconut Sno Ball Doughnuts
Yields: Approximately 3 dozen mini doughnuts
- For the Doughnut Batter:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp melted (and cooled) butter
- For the Coconut Glaze and Topping:
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 to 2 ½ tbsp coconut milk
- 1 (10 oz) bag shredded coconut
- pink food coloring, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees or preheat your donut maker. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until well combined. In a one-cup measuring cup, stir together vinegar and coconut milk and then let sit for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, beat egg, then pour in milk/vinegar mixture followed by the melted (and cool!) butter and vanilla.
- Pour this mixture of wet ingredients into the large bowl with the dry ingredients, and gently whisk until a thick. smooth batter forms. Do not over-mix.
- Pour mixture into a piping bag or ziploc plastic bag and snip off a 1/2 inch hole. Pipe donut batter either into greased doughnut pan or into preheated doughnut maker coated with cooking spray, filling cavities halfway.
- Bake in oven for 5-7 minutes or in doughnut make for 4 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center of a doughnut comes out clean. Remove doughnuts from oven and let cool while you make the glaze and topping.
- For the glaze, simply whisk together the powdered sugar, coconut milk, and a few drops of pink food coloring until a smooth glaze forms. Start with 2 tbsp of coconut milk, and add a little more if the glaze seems too thick.
- Add the shredded coconut to a large plastic ziploc bag, drop in a few more drop of pink food coloring, seal and gently shake the bag to coat all the coconut. It should turn a nice shade of pink, but feel free to add more food coloring for a more vibrant color!
- Once doughnuts are cool, dunk them in the glaze, covering them completely and then letting the excess glaze drip off before adding a couple to the bag with the coconut. Close the bag, gently shake to coat the doughnuts in the coconut.
- Remove from bag and let dry on a cooling rack.