That title sure is a mouthful, huh?
I wish I could have come up with a more succinct, less tongue-twister-y title, but I figured coconut, curry, and cauliflower were essential words if I wanted you to fall in love with this soup…
and I do!
Last week I dove into soups and stews with that Hearty, veggie-filled Corn Chowder. After reading Aimee’s post on How to Make Soup from Scratch, I wondered if there were any other helpful how-to’s out across the internet that would aid me in my quest for soup satisfaction.
Yep. Soup Satisfaction. I’m all about the alliterations today.
While perusing my favorite culinary references, I stumbled upon this fantastic “Not Recipe” from the folks over at Food52. Every week or so they post one of these not-recipes: a 5 or under list of steps to achieve the perfect anything. I swear by the one on marinara sauce, and now I can also say I adore the one on Pureed Vegetable Soups.
Not-recipes make me feel like I am a cooking pro! Just enough guidelines to keep me
from burning the house down on track but not too much as to spoil any creative leanings I may have.
Thus, this Coconut Curried Cauliflower soup was born! Hearty, creamy cauliflower soup gets a spicy kick from red curry paste, curry powder and turmeric, and a splash of sweetness from coconut milk.
Oh and I threw on some roasted chickpeas, since, well, they are fabulous.
I now want to throw them on everything, or just throw them all in my mouth at once. Either way, roasted chickpeas: make ’em. Eat ’em. Love ’em.
I haven’t had curried anything in ages, and since the weather is supposed to get cooler (HURRY UP ALREADY AUTUMN) I wanted to make a big batch of this to freeze and save for those chilly nights.
Besides being utterly comforting and only a tad spicy, this recipe also makes a boatload of soup! Now we are finally getting into the money-saving factor I’ve heard so much about. With just a few ingredients, I had over 6 servings of this to store for a rainy day!
Take that, Campbell’s.
Also, I don’t even think Campbell’s makes a coconut curry soup, so if you’re craving the flavor combo you can whip this soup up in no time!
I’ll be back Wednesday with more Pumpkin treats: as if those Pumpkin Spice Biscotti would be the only ones! 😉
Coconut Curried Cauliflower Soup
Recipe Inspired by Food52
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 large head cauliflower, broken down into small florets
- 7 cups chicken stock (use vegetable stock for vegetarian/vegan meal!)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- roasted chickpeas, for serving (Check out this recipe here!)
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once hot, add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add curry paste, curry powder, and turmeric to the pot and saute for an additional minute.
- Add cauliflower to the dutch oven and stir to coat in curry paste mixture. Carefully pour in stock (make sure it covers cauliflower) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender. Remove pot from heat and let cool for 10 minutes, then carefully puree soup in batches until smooth. Return soup to dutch oven, stir in coconut milk, and cook until heated through, about an additional minute or two.
- Top with roasted chickpeas and serve.
Serves Approximately 6-8
All Photos, Recipes (Unless Otherwise Specified) And Writing Copyright © 2013 Jessica Gonzalez | On Sugar Mountain