Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms
A classic Thanksgiving appetizer with a twist, these Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms will please everyone this holiday season!
Yields: Approximately 1 1/2 dozen stuffed mushrooms
- 1 lb white button mushrooms
- 8 oz Brussels Sprouts, cleaned and sliced thinly
- 6 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled, and 1 tbsp bacon fat reserved
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, fresh or homemade if you have them
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for greasing the pan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and toss sliced Brussels sprouts with the reserved bacon fat. Spread them out on a foil-lined cookie sheet and roast 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- While sprouts are roasting, wash off any excess dirt from the mushrooms and pat them dry. Gently remove the stems from the mushrooms and chop them roughly. Set aside caps until ready to stuff.
- Combine the chopped mushroom stems with the breadcrumbs, cheese, cooked bacon crumbles, egg, garlic, and salt, tossing to combine evenly. Stir in roasted Brussels sprouts, then drizzle in the 1/4 cup olive oil and again toss gently to incorporate.
- Spoon breadcrumb mixture into mushroom caps, filling them to the top (but don't pack the filling in too tightly as the mushrooms shrink a bit while cooking).
- Generously grease a large baking/cookie sheet with olive oil and place mushrooms on it, stuffing side up.
- Bake at 400 degrees until browned and puffy, about 15 minutes. Serve warm.