My favorite month is here! It’s here with 80 degree weather, but it’s here!
October is one of the most awesome months out there; it’s the home of crunchy leaves, cool breezes, apple-picking, pumpkin-picking, my birthday (does the obsession with Autumn make sense now?) and Halloween.
As such, I welcome the lovely month of October into my life (and yours hopefully!) with Pumpkin Spice Biscotti.
If you are already tired of the Pumpkin Spice craze
get excited all over again you fools! then my blog may not be the place for you during the next few weeks. I mean, you can always come for the exciting rants, ravings, and occasional freak outs, but you know, just thought I’d give you fair warning of what’s to come.
After I got such rave reviews for my Salted Caramel Mocha Cookies last week, I thought I’d whip up another Starbucks-inspired sweet treat in case the coffee just isn’t cutting it for you.
But, unlike the Pumpkin Spice Lattes, which though delicious, contain no real pumpkin and instead contain a huge amount of sugar and calories, these biscotti are low-fat and full of pumpkin perfection.
Yep. You heard me: low-fat.
I don’t think I’ve ever done anything low-fat on the blog (because, you know, fat is delicious) but substituting pumpkin puree for the fat called for in the recipe was just too easy to pass up.
All the flavor for a fraction of the fat?
Count me in.
Oh, and in the event you weren’t already sold on the “low-fat-delicious-cookie” bit, let me throw in that they are covered in pumpkin-pie-spiced sugar.
They are the perfect pairing to your pumpkin-themed coffees, and would make a great dessert at your Thanksgiving Table (it’s NEVER too early to start dreaming that feast up) or a Halloween get-together.
I’ll be back Friday as I dive into making some hearty soups and stews!
Pumpkin Spice Biscotti
Get your Pumpkin Spice fix with these low-fat but full flavor Pumpkin Spice Biscotti!
Yields: Makes Approximately 2 dozen biscotti
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- For the pumpkin spice topping:
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line one large baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice until well mixed. Set aside. For the pumpkin spice topping: whisk granulated sugar with pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl and set aside until ready to use.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer (or a large bowl with a hand mixer) beat pumpkin puree and both sugars until well incorporated. Beat in egg and egg yolk, followed by vanilla. On the lowest speed, mix flour mixture into pumpkin mixture until dough comes together (it will be super sticky! That is ok!).
- Divide dough in half and shape each half into a log, approx 9 inches by 1 1/2 inches. I do this (with a great deal of patience) by putting it between two pieces of plastic wrap and gently shaping it, removing one piece of the plastic wrap, and then flipping it over onto the cookie sheet.
- Leave approximately 2 inches between both logs, then brush with beaten egg and sprinkle generously with pumpkin spice topping.
- Bake at 325 for 40-45 minutes. Remove and let cool for 10 minutes before gently slicing on the diagonal with a serrated knife. Place sliced biscotti cut side down on baking sheet, sprinkle with rest of pumpkin spice topping, then bake again at 325 for 15-20 minutes, or until the biscotti are no longer soft in the middle. Let cool completely on a wire rack.