Chicken Pot Pie Gnocchi
Can you believe October will be here TOMORROW?!
Halloween will be happening! Then Thanksgiving!
Woah. Getting ahead of myself there. Probably should put Elf back in the DVD stack for a month or two.
But October does mean it will continue to get cooler, and cooler means more comfort food in my book. As I was looking through my Pinterest boards to figure out what I should whip up next, I discovered this recipe for “Lazy Girl’s Homemade Gnocchi” from the Novice Chef Blog.
I pinned this over a year ago and totally forgot about it, but gnocchi with instant mashed potato flakes? Sign me up!
I’ve always wanted to make homemade gnocchi, but every time I read through a recipe I became so intimidated that I ended up just buying gnocchi from the store. This dough, however, is an absolute breeze to work with and comes together in seconds in your food processor!
Once I had my gnocchi all rolled out, I knew exactly what I wanted to make with it. After having some phenomenal Chicken Pot Pie the other day, I found myself wanting more without the desire to make homemade pie crust again.
So I thought to myself: What about Chicken Pot Pie Gnocchi?
Friends, this is perhaps one of the best recipes I’ve ever come up with: ever. The gnocchi serve as the potatoes, which are then smothered in a creamy white sauce and tossed with peas, carrots, and chicken before being baked to perfection in the oven.
If you don’t feel like making gnocchi from scratch, you can always start with store-bought gnocchi and work through the recipe from there. I have to tell you though: making your own pasta is loads of fun and quite stress-relieving…
especially if you roll out your dough while blasting Pandora, dancing, and singing like a crazy person in your kitchen.
I do suggest only going through with that last part if no one else is at home. Otherwise, you might scare housemates.
I’ll be back Wednesday with the perfect pumpkin recipe to welcome in October. Until then,
Chicken Pot Pie Gnocchi
- 1 lb gnocchi, homemade* or store-bought
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups cooked, cubed chicken
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook gnocchi according to package directions and spread out flat on a parchment-lined baking sheet until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, heat chicken broth in a small saucepan over medium heat and reduce by half (you should have 1/2 cup left in the pan). Remove from pan to a measuring cup. Add cream to pan and reduce it by half as well (you should have 1/4 cup cream). Return broth to pan with cream and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook 5 minutes, or until soft and just beginning to brown. Add peas and carrots and saute for 2-3 minutes, then stir in chicken, followed by sauce and gnocchi along with salt and pepper to taste. Stir gently until well combined.
- Top mixture with panko breadcrumbs and bake at 400 degrees until golden brown and bubbly, about 10 minutes.
All Photos, Recipes (Unless Otherwise Specified) And Writing Copyright © 2013 Jessica Gonzalez | On Sugar Mountain