Are you sad the cookie fest is coming to a close?
(cue sad voices shouting ‘we need more cookies, Jess!’)
We all need more cookies in our lives; I totally agree with you there. But I do have some awesome recipes to share with you that are not cookies next week…
and maybe one is another cookie, but we won’t talk about that one just yet.
For today, let’s focus on these classic, comforting, chewy M&M Cookies!
This is one of those recipes that is so easy it’s sort of shocking that we pay for giant M&M cookies at the mall or buy those sad, dry, brittle ones at the store.
I’m looking at you, Chips Ahoy! I know you make Chocolate Chip and not M&M cookies, but still, why must half the container be filled with pulverized cookies by the time I get home?!
That is single-handedly one of the saddest moments of my grocery shopping experience: coming home to crushed cookies.
It’s like my heart, not the cookies, was crushed.
Sorry, couldn’t help myself there. These Soft & Chewy M&M Cookies, on the other hand, are the opposite of crumbly, crunchy, sad cookies.
These are the kind of cookies you can love for an entire week; that is, if they last that long! I brought these into work earlier this week and they disappeared by the next morning.
Just so we are clear: I only work with about 2 other people in the afternoons. There’s the chance that a few other people in the English department came by the following morning, but I wonder who could have eaten all those cookies…
I pounced on these Autumn-y M&Ms as soon as I saw them at the grocery store last week. All the colors of falling leaves and cool weather, with the added bonus of chocolate, how could I resist?
So, in case you were wondering, any kind of M&M could work in this recipe. So, as the weather continues to change and you begin to notice a shocking variety of awesome M&Ms (candy corn, peppermint, etc) feel free to throw in whichever ones float your boat at the moment.
Personally, they all float my boat, so my problem stems from how to avoid throwing every flavor into one cookie…
Am I allowed to say #foodbloggerproblems here without sounding like a millennial or a jerk?
Oh, are you saying I just succeeded in sounding like both?
Duly noted. I shall keep the hashtag language within my brain and on Twitter.
Unless, well, I can’t help myself. It’s not like that ever happens or anything, right?
Okay, I believe I’ve subjected you to enough ramblings for the day/week/forever. I hope you all have a lovely weekend and I’ll be back Monday.
Soft & Chewy M&M Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup m&m candies, or more depending on your preferences
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt until well mixed.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer (or a large bowl with a hand mixer) beat butter and both sugars until light and fluffy, approx 3-5 minutes. Scrape bowl as needed.
- Beat in egg and egg yolk, followed by vanilla, until well incorporated. Slowly mix flour mixture into butter mixture, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Fold in m&m candies.
- Scoop out rounded tablespoonfuls of dough and place at least 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes or until edges are set/just beginning to brown. Let cool on pan for 3-5 minutes before carefully removing to wire rack to cool completely.
Makes Approximately 2 dozen cookies
All Photos, Recipes (Unless Otherwise Specified) And Writing Copyright © 2013 Jessica Gonzalez | On Sugar Mountain