Salted Caramel Mocha Cookies
It’s the first week where I have yet to experience a day above 73 degrees, and man is it amazing or what?!
The sun is shining, but yours truly is not sweating. It’s a wonderful combination. Making cookies is a breeze when there’s an actual cool breeze coming through the window, and I’ve finally found the perfect North-facing window at which to take all my pictures.
I don’t often like to toot my own horn (okay just sometimes) but the cookie fest looks fabulous thanks to these new photos! It’s so much more fun when you can focus on composition instead of grumbling/cursing at inanimate objects and lighting fixtures because your shadows are harsh and horrible.
It doesn’t take much to make me happy: good lighting, a cool Autumn day…
and cookies of course!
Starbucks rolled out all the fabulous Fall favorites this month, and personally I forgot how much I adored their Salted Caramel Mochas. It’s dessert+caffeine+on-the-go-awesomeness and it absolutely needs to be made into baked good.
You know, so you can enjoy it in every way imagineable because the latte is not enough. Obviously.
So I’m happy to contribute to the Starbucks-love with these Salted Caramel Mocha Cookies: thick and chewy chocolate cookies with a hint of coffee, caramel kiss centers and a sprinkle of sea-salt.
From time to time I hear
crazy people some mention they are tired of “salted caramel” this and “sea salt” that. Now everyone is welcome to their own opinion, but HOW COULD YOU EVER GET TIRED OF IT?!
SEA SALT MAKES EVERYTHING MORE AWESOME!
You know it’s true all you salted-caramel haters.
Sigh. Like I said,
haters gonna hate everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Anyhoo – these cookies. They are chocolicious. Yes, they are so delicious I needed to combine chocolate and delicious to properly explain it to you. They are chocolatey pillows of perfection with caramel centers, and just enough sea salt to make you want to dive in for a million more.
Oh and if you dunk them in your coffee, or oh my goodness your salted caramel mocha, you will be kept blissfully happy and unaware of any random awkward things that may happen to you during the day, like tripping over laptop cords, spilling said coffee on your pants, or your phone dying in the middle of a jam session on your way to work.
Well, it kept me happy during those things, so I think you will be too.
The cookie fest wraps up on Friday with a classic I am sure you will all enjoy. See you then and as always,
Salted Caramel Mocha Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp instant coffee granules
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- caramel kisses, unwrapped
- sea salt, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cornstarch, salt, and instant coffee granules until well mixed. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer (or a large bowl with a hand mixer) beat butter and both sugars until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Beat in egg and egg yolk until fully incorporated, followed by the vanilla.
- On the lowest setting of your mixer, stir in the flour mixture until dough forms.
- Scoop out rounded tablespoons of dough and place at least 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Use the bottom of a drinking glass coated with cocoa powder to gently flatten cookies (just a bit!).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes or until edges just begin to brown. Remove from oven and immediately push (gently!) a caramel kiss into the center of each cookie. Sprinkle tops of cookies with sea salt.
- Let cool on pan for 3-4 minutes before gently removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes Approximately 2 dozen cookies
All Photos, Recipes (Unless Otherwise Specified) And Writing Copyright © 2013 Jessica Gonzalez | On Sugar Mountain