WHY HELLO THERE FRIENDS!!
Oh how I’ve missed chatting with you these past few weeks! I do apologize for my leave of absence, but between working two jobs and then interviews for new jobs, it was a miracle if I didn’t fall asleep the minute I walked through my front door.
Though I was hoping to tell you I secured a real-person job over the break, I am still on the hunt.
But not to fear! I am here and relaxed and ready to share delicious delectables and sweet treats with you.
Have you noticed the new little re-vamp, by the way? It’s the “Oxygen” theme here on WordPress and I am just in love with that feature slider. I get to pick whichever posts I want to keep up there, and the entire layout is so much more crisp; how could you not adore it?
I’ve also updated all of the archives, recipe indexes, as well as the “About Me” sections of the site. You can now see the “About Me” for randomness about yours truly, or the “About this Blog” for the plans I have for the next few years for this little blog of mine.
Now it’s time to get to the real reason you all are here reading (or scrolling through pictures) today:
Dirty Chai Doughnut Muffins!
When I made those Chai Spice Doughnuts a few weeks back, I made way more chai-spice sugar than I ever needed. Instead of throwing it away, I thought I’d work it into yet another awesome chai-inspired recipe.
Have you ever tried a Dirty Chai at Starbucks?? I read about it once on one of those “Starbucks Secret Menu” articles and it is simply a chai latte with a shot of espresso.
You may feel the need to question the feasibility of this combination…
You may realize, after trying a Dirty Chai, how it’s the best solution to your caffeine fix since the creation of coffee, in which case….
YOU ARE RIGHT!
I think it is safe to say that I have an unhealthy perfectly normal addiction to chai and all its accompanying spices, so adding a little caffeine boost to my chai latte is a dream come true.
Adding all of those flavors into my breakfast muffin?
These dirty chai doughnut muffins are chock-full of wonderful ingredients like whole wheat flour, brown sugar, and a chai-spice sugar blend that will blow you away!
Oh, and did I mention that I rolled them in melted butter and more chai sugar??
Well, now I mentioned it, and I bet you are glad I did!
Heehee. Didn’t you miss me and all my crazy rants about muffins?
Please say yes.
I’m going to go ahead and say you said yes.
Be sure to check back Wednesday for the perfect way to use up summer berries before they disappear!
Dirty Chai Doughnut Muffins
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chai spice mix*
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tsp instant coffee granules
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup chai spice mix*
For chai spice mix: combine 1 cup granulated sugar with 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp each of cardamom, cloves, and nutmeg until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray one 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray (or use paper liners). Combine both flours, brown sugar, 1/4 cup chai spice mix, baking powder, salt, and spices (through the nutmeg) until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk milk and instant coffee granules together, followed by egg and vegetable oil.
- Pour wet ingredient mixture over dry ingredient mixture and stir with large wooden spoon until just combined.
- Scoop batter out into prepared muffin cups, filling 3/4 way full. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for a few minutes before carefully removing to cool on a wire rack.
- Once cool, dip muffins in melted butter, then roll immediately in the rest of the chai spice mix.
Makes Approximately 12 muffins
All Photos, Recipes (Unless Otherwise Specified) And Writing Copyright © 2013 Jessica Gonzalez | On Sugar Mountain