S’mores Cupcakes

Hello friends!

Another lovely Friday is upon us, and this one is even attached to a long weekend!

Woo for long weekends!

At first I thought I’d make adorable red, white, and blue cake in jars to share with you, in case you needed a last-minute dessert for Memorial Day Weekend, but naturally….

I’m out of both red and blue food coloring.

Mwop mwop.

S'mores Cupcakes - On Sugar Mountain

Normally I’m on top of those kind of things but hey – everyone has one of those days, and this humidity has made me a tad weird.

So instead I whipped you up these S’mores Cupcakes!

I’ve been dying to try out my new chocolate cake recipe, and stuffing cupcakes with marshmallow fluff sounded absolutely logical in my heat-wave-mania.

Oh and graham cracker frosting – I now want to make every type of cheesecake into a cupcake so that I can top it with this.

Though the tops of these cupcakes were just a smidge sticky, the cake is absolutely decadent.

S'mores Cupcakes - On Sugar Mountain

S'mores Cupcakes - On Sugar Mountain

Rich, fudgey, moist yet light – it’s like my favorite devil’s food cake in a cupcake!

Then that cupcake is transformed into s’mores!

The heat makes me easily excited about s’mores.

One of my favorite lines from a movie, ever, comes from The Sandlot. No matter how many times I see the scene with the kids camping out and making s’mores, I still crack up.

“You want s’mores?”

“S’more of what?”

(gapes) “You’re killing me smalls!”

S'mores Cupcakes - On Sugar Mountain

S'mores Cupcakes - On Sugar Mountain

Every. Time. Heehee.

I definitely just acted that out as I wrote it. Don’t tell anyone.

I may be turning delirious – that AC unit needs to be installed into the window as soon as possible. Stay cool this weekend my friends and I’ll see you on Monday!

Happy Baking!

OSM Signature

S’mores Cupcakes

home5onsugarmpublic_htmlwp-contentuploads201411img_2659.jpg

You need s’more of these S’mores Cupcakes in your life.

Yields: Makes approx 18 cupcakes

• For the Graham Cracker Frosting
  • 1 cup butter or shortening
  • 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2-12 cup muffin pans with paper liners. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
  2. In a smaller bowl, whisk together oil and both sugars until well combined. Whisk in eggs and vanilla.
  3. Pour wet ingredient mixture over dry ingredient mixture and mix, then add hot water.
  4. Quickly stir mixture until smooth.
  5. Fill muffin cups 2/3 way full with batter (you should get about 18 cupcakes) and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
  6. Let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes then carefully remove to wire rack to cool completely.
  7. Once cool, use a butter knife to core out center of each cupcake and fill with 1-2 tbsp of fluff. Then top with frosting.
  8. !For the Frosting:
  9. Beat butter/shortening for a full three minutes, or until pale and fluffy. Then, beat in 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time until thick frosting comes together.
  10. Add in vanilla and half of cream, followed by graham cracker crumbs. Beat in rest of heavy cream until frosting is fluffy.

Comments

1. says

I’ve been wanting to make s’mores cupcakes forever! But with graham cracker frosting?? I need that in my life. Have a great holiday weekend!

• says

OMG YOU DO ASHLEY! It makes everything so much better. I bet a cheesecake-like cupcake would also be fab with this frosting.

P.S. Hope you had a lovely weekend as well! (I’m so darn behind on responding to comments!)

2. Serena says

A neato take on s’mores. I feel like most of the one’s I’ve seen are grahamcracker/vanilla cake, marshmallow frosting, and chocolate somehow as a garnish. I love this though!

3. says

I think these cupcakes are adorable. I love your graham cracker frosting… so clever. Those two marshmallows on the side are calling to me… YUM! Have a fantastic Memorial Day Weekend. :)

4. says

These cupcakes are fantastic. And so perfect for this summer holiday weekend! Even thugh it’s not technically summer yet. ;) I love s’mores anything!

5. says

Yummmm!!! I adore s’mores, even though they’re not exactly something we eat commonly over here. I’m loving all these Memorial Day posts from US bloggers. Even though I’m not celebrating this weekend, it’s so nice to see what everyone’s doing for the festivities. Thanks for sharing the gorgeous recipe (graham cracker frosting, aaah!) xx

• says

Thanks a bunch Laura! I love s’mores pretty much at any time of the year, though they are sort of fitting for Memorial Day over here in the US. Start of summer means more summer flavors! So glad you liked them though. :D

6. says

These look delicious, Jess! I made devils food cupcakes this week using a doctored up cake mix recipe and though it was delicious, I kept wishing I had a reliable, moist, chocolaty, from scratch recipe that I could use instead. You seem to have read my mind! I am using this one next time. :) I am also going to top them with this graham cracker frosting!

7. says

First of all…..GREAT minds think alike!!! I made s’mores cupcakes for a client recently and need to write my blog post. However….mine were way different. Mine were like everyone elses out there…your cupcakes look SPECTACULAR!!! Graham cracker frosting!!!! What a unique frosting! I am totally wishing you had posted this before I needed to bake for the client, I would love to try yours!!! :)

8. Cori says

Hi, I’m looking at making these and just want to confirm it does in fact call for 2 cups boiling water? 1 cup is listed twice in the ingredients. Thanks!!

Trackbacks