Another lovely Friday is upon us, and this one is even attached to a long weekend!
Woo for long weekends!
At first I thought I’d make adorable red, white, and blue cake in jars to share with you, in case you needed a last-minute dessert for Memorial Day Weekend, but naturally….
I’m out of both red and blue food coloring.
Normally I’m on top of those kind of things but hey – everyone has one of those days, and this humidity has made me a tad weird.
So instead I whipped you up these S’mores Cupcakes!
I’ve been dying to try out my new chocolate cake recipe, and stuffing cupcakes with marshmallow fluff sounded absolutely logical in my heat-wave-mania.
Oh and graham cracker frosting – I now want to make every type of cheesecake into a cupcake so that I can top it with this.
Though the tops of these cupcakes were just a smidge sticky, the cake is absolutely decadent.
Rich, fudgey, moist yet light – it’s like my favorite devil’s food cake in a cupcake!
Then that cupcake is transformed into s’mores!
The heat makes me easily excited about s’mores.
One of my favorite lines from a movie, ever, comes from The Sandlot. No matter how many times I see the scene with the kids camping out and making s’mores, I still crack up.
“You want s’mores?”
“S’more of what?”
(gapes) “You’re killing me smalls!”
Every. Time. Heehee.
I definitely just acted that out as I wrote it. Don’t tell anyone.
I may be turning delirious – that AC unit needs to be installed into the window as soon as possible. Stay cool this weekend my friends and I’ll see you on Monday!
You need s’more of these S’mores Cupcakes in your life.
Yields: Makes approx 18 cupcakes
- For the cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (10 oz) jar marshmallow fluff
- For the Graham Cracker Frosting
- 1 cup butter or shortening
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2-12 cup muffin pans with paper liners. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together oil and both sugars until well combined. Whisk in eggs and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredient mixture over dry ingredient mixture and mix, then add hot water.
- Quickly stir mixture until smooth.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 way full with batter (you should get about 18 cupcakes) and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes then carefully remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, use a butter knife to core out center of each cupcake and fill with 1-2 tbsp of fluff. Then top with frosting.
- !For the Frosting:
- Beat butter/shortening for a full three minutes, or until pale and fluffy. Then, beat in 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time until thick frosting comes together.
- Add in vanilla and half of cream, followed by graham cracker crumbs. Beat in rest of heavy cream until frosting is fluffy.