Triple Citrus Sugar Cookies
I feel like Wednesdays are slowly becoming “cookie days” here on the blog. There’s just something about having cookies in the middle of your week that makes it all worthwhile.
Now these cookies happen to be particularly awesome, because they remind me of my absolute favorite cookies in the whole wide world.
I know Shop Rite is a regional grocery store, but every other grocery store (like Publix for example) that I’ve been in also happens to carry these lovely cookies. They are from the bakery section and they appear to be ordinary sugar cookies.
But they’re not.
It could be that they are slightly underbaked, it could be that little elves come in at night and magically bake them before running away to do other whimsical things, but those thin, flat, chewy sugar cookies are my kryptonite.
The sugar cookie to end the eating of all other sugar cookies!
They are super easy and your entire kitchen smells cleaner as you make them. Nothing smells fresher than fresh lemon, lime, and orange zest creamed into a buttery, sugary dough.
Mine came out a tad thinner than hers, but I think I just flattened them more (Unfortunately I’m not quite so gentle with cookie dough). To be honest though, I’m totally okay with how thin mine came out. They are still thick and chewy and just like those sugar cookies I remember getting from the grocery store growing up.
Only this time they’re upgraded to include a citrusy sugar coating!
What could be better?
I ended up giving most of these cookies to my boyfriend for his department’s bake sale, but I managed to snag a few before reluctantly turning them over to him. Rest assured, I’ll absolutely be making these again and again, especially as the weather gets warmer and warmer. These citrusy cookies would be a perfection addition to any barbecue, graduation party (EEK LIKE MINE?!) or picnic.
Sigh. As I upload the photos I just wish I had doubled the recipe!
Seriously: these are the best sugar cookies I’ve ever had the honor of cramming into my mouth. Go make them and bring a little sunshine and summer into your kitchen!
Triple Citrus Cookies
Recipe Source: Shugary Sweets
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, at room temp
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tbsp (1 1/2 tsp) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- zest from one orange
- zest from one lime
- zest from one lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two or three cookie sheets with parchment paper. Combine zests and then combine 2 tsp of zest mixture with 1/2 cup sugar and mix well.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and remaining 1 cup of sugar until pale and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Next, beat in egg until fully incorporated.
- Add flour, baking powder, and baking soda to butter mixture and beat until dough begins to come together. Gently beat in the remaining zest mixture until fully incorporated. You can use your (clean) hands to mix the dough if needed.
- Scoop out balls of dough (about 3/4 to 1 in wide) and roll into ball. Roll ball of dough in zest/sugar mixture from earlier, coating completely.
- Place dough on prepared cookie sheet, leaving 2 inches between each ball for spreading. Use the bottom of a glass (or your hand) to flatten the balls of dough slightly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, and do not overbake! They will look a little underdone – that is ok!
- Let cool on pan for 2 minutes then gently remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies
All Photos And Writing Copyright © 2013 Jessica Gonzalez | On Sugar Mountain