#MuffinMonday : Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake Muffins

Hello friends!

It’s Monday (duh) which means it’s time for a new marvelous muffin recipe!

Although I have a lot of ideas for new muffins, I knew I wanted to do a classic coffee cake version for quite some time. The first thing I ever baked (in a real oven, EZ Bake doesn’t count heehee) was a Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake from a box mix. This was one of my family’s favorite quick-breads (along with Banana Bread) and I loved whipping it up for them.

It was just enough “from scratch” baking for my young self to handle; though I always had this one issue with the cinnamon swirl center. I am not one for “eyeing” amounts when it comes to baking; you will always find me with a set of measuring cups or spoons because I cannot for the life of me imagine how much 1 tbsp looks like.

Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake Muffins - On Sugar Mountain

So naturally, when the recipe directed me to pour half the batter into the pan, cover with the cinnamon swirl filling followed by the rest of the batter, I always ended up pouring too much batter in for the first layer and never leaving enough for the top.

The result? My cinnamon swirl “center” was always more of a second topping. Not that anyone complained, but I always remember being frustrated with trying to get that center right.

About a dozen years later, apparently I still cannot create a cinnamon swirl filling that will stay in the center of the muffin.

Argh. I wish I could just give you all each a muffin so you’d know how awesome they are. These crumbly muffins did not appreciate being photographed after I manhandled them out of the muffin tins.

But I promise: if you are looking for a soft, yet slightly crumbly, cinnamon-y coffee cake, this muffin is for you.

Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake Muffins - On Sugar Mountain

I had work at 7:30 AM the next morning after making these muffins, and I decided to bring them in with me for the consultants. It’s funny; I always bring my goodies in, but this time everyone seemed so much more excited.

One of my co-workers shouted in glee: “FINALLY BREAKFAST FOOD!”

Apparently Banana Berry Fudge is not appreciated as much in the morning as Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake….

Though I can’t imagine why. ;)

Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake Muffins - On Sugar Mountain

So they may look a little humble, but that’s the magic of muffins. Beneath that modest muffin appearance lies a whole array of comforting flavors and textures, and what’s more,

It’s cake for breakfast!

I hope these delightful Coffee Cake Muffins bring a little sweetness to your Monday. :)

Happy Baking!

• 1 cup milk

for the crumb topping:

• 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3 tbsp softened butter
  • pinch of cinnamon

for the cinnamon swirl filling:

• 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon

for the glaze/drizzle

• 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 to 4 tbsp heavy cream
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line one 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners or spray with cooking spray.
  2. Make the crumb topping: Combine all ingredients until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside until ready to use.
  3. Make the filling: whisk together all ingredients until well combined. Set aside until ready to use.
  4. Make the muffins: combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk together oil, egg, and milk. Pour wet ingredient mixture over dry ingredient mixture and stir with big wooden spoon until just combined.
  5. Add 1 1/2 tbsp of batter to each of the prepared muffin cups. Then, add one 3/4 to 1 tsp (depending on how much you like cinnamon!) of the cinnamon swirl filling to the center of the batter. Top with an additional 1 1/2 tbsp of batter.
  6. Cover muffins with crumb topping, then bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  7. Let cool in pan for a few minutes before carefully removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
  8. While they cool, whisk together the cream and powdered sugar to form a thick glaze. If too thick, add a bit more cream. If too thin, add more powdered sugar. Drizzle over top of cooled muffins.

Comments

1. says

I never thought I’d describe a muffin this way, but holy mother of pearl, those muffins are sexy! They are showing just the right amount of decadent crumb on top.. that crumb that drives me CRAAZZZAAAY and then they surprise you with that totally amazing cinnamon swirl inside. This is heaven, girl.

Also, I promise to never call food sexy again. But I’m not sorry in the case of these muffins.

2. Autumn says

These were amazing! Took them to class today and got nothing but good reviews! WARNING TO ANYONE THINKING OF TRYING THIS RECIPE: share them, or else you will eat them all! Thanks for sharing this great recipe!

3. Barb Barker says

I added a few things… Chopped toasted salted pecans to the swirl and crumb topping, oatmeal and finely diced apple to the batter as well as the crumb topping… Substantially DElish!!

4. Tracy says

Quick question: Is this baking powder measurement right? I’m making a double batch, so 2 Tablespoons of baking powder seems like an awful lot. Typo? Thanks!

5. sherri says

GRRR i tried to make these and i dont know what i did but they turned out terri ly. the batter was too thick and all the filling bubbled out and they are just not good:/ im going to have to try again !

• says

Sherri I am so sorry! That is so awful. :( If I can provide a few suggestions (though you are probably so frustrated with me at the moment). Maybe use a little less filling or batter mix for your muffin pans? Or what might work better is, once you add everything, use a toothpick to swirl the cinnamon mixture INTO the batter, that way it can’t bubble out? I might add that to the directions now that you’ve mentioned you had trouble. Let me know if any of this helps!

6. sherri says

Thanks for the suggestions. i. not frustrated with you at all. my batter didnt turn out very well either so ive done something wrong. but the kids ate them anyway lol

7. Michaela says

Just put a batch in the oven…can’t wait to see how they turned out. I had extra cinnamon swirl filling and I’m half tempted to stick a straw and drink the rest!

8. ChiChi says

I just made these and the turned out delicious! The only thing I did different was make six large ones which I baked longer. Thank you!

9. says

Hi! After many google searches of “cinnamon coffee cake…coffee cake…cinnamon crumble cake…cinnamon coffee cake muffins” I came across this post from your blog! I shared and featured your recipe on my own blog for a post that I actually posted today! I really enjoyed the simplicity and the yummy, sweet taste of your cinnamon coffee cake muffins! Thanks so much for sharing! (:
    <3 Kira

10. Kelsea says

Just made a batch. I had to make some substitutions because of lack of ingredients. At least I’m innovative right? Lol I used Coconut Oil in the batter instead of vegetable, banana instead of butter in the cinnamon mixture, and I also added vanilla and maple paste. Thank you for providing the inspiration and base for this delicious recipe!!

11. Licia says

Just made these with my 10-year old daughter, she did most of the work, I guided her and cleaned up along the way. They turned out really delicious. We had a lot of filling and topping left over, is this normal? I think we could have added more filling, eventhough after swirling it looked like enough. But even the muffin part without filling tasted delicious. Another thing, the muffins stuck to the bottom of the cupcake holder. Any idea why?

Great recipe thanks so much for sharing.

12. Hollis says

These look amazing! Quick and probably stupid question – can I use this recipe to make mini muffins and if so, what temperature would you bake them at? I’m assuming the recipe would yield 24 mini muffins since it makes 12 standard…

• says

Not a stupid question at all Hollis! You can definitely make mini muffins with this. The temperature would stay the same, but I would cut the time down considerably, perhaps check on them at 10 minutes and every 2 minutes after that. Also, I would say it would make at least 24 mini muffins, if not around 30 or so!

• says

Hi Rachel,

I didn’t put any actual coffee in the recipe so there’s a chance that could have affected your batter. Though I will tell you the muffin batter is a little on the thick side in the first place. Perhaps try not using coffee next time? Hope it turns out better next time!

13. Lesley says

Quick question for anyone that knows really. For the glaze/icing the recipe calls for 2-4tbs of cream. What is the cream? Coffee cream? Cream of tartar? Clearly I’m a beginner cook with this question so don’t judge me to harshly lol.

• says

Hi Lesley,

No judgment at all! It’s supposed to call for heavy cream; I’ve adjusted the post now so that no one else stumbles onto the same problem. Hope this clears things up a bit! :D

14. Michelle says

I absolutely love coffee cake, and made these last year for my wedding cake, but without the glaze on top (since they would be out in the heat for a little while). They turned out great, especially since I had never tried this recipe before making 150 cupcakes, and a small heart cake for my husband and I to cut. Thanks for posting!

15. Hayden says

This recipe is great! Thank you so much! I’m in the middle of making a double batch after falling in love with them a few weeks ago… Going to sell them at a bake sale fundraiser tomorrow and I’m sure they will be a hit! Also, they convert great to gluten free which I love!

• says

Hayden this is awesome! Thanks so much for letting me know the recipe worked out well for you! Also, my nana is GF since she has Celiac and I’m so happy to hear they are easily converted to GF. May I ask how you converted them so I can share it with her?? :D

Thanks again!

16. Hayden says

Jess, sorry for the late reply! The secret to turning these muffins gluten free was just using Namaste Perfect Flour Blend instead of regular flour (Shhhh) and I’m sure almost any other premade (or homemade) all purpose mix will work as well. All the other ingredients you can easily find already gluten free. Just make sure if your mix doesn’t have Xanthan Gum in it you add about 2 tsps. to the flour in the muffins, the topping should do fine without. Hope this helps!

Trackbacks