Guess who’s back and she’s better than ever…
Whoops – Almost started singing the Hess Truck anthem, and it is so not time for that yet!
But I am officially back in NJ and at Rutgers, which means I am also happily back on my blog.
Break has left me rejuvenated and ready to get back into blogging with full force. A big thanks to Becky, Ramona, and Rohith for their fabulous guest posts last week as well!
I am still sort of in shock that Easter is this weekend, not to mention April 1st is next Monday! With having so few classes this semester, I managed to take a week and a half for break, which was wonderful during break….
but now I’m so behind with Easter treats! So much cute baking, so little time!
That’s why I thought I’d share a quick and fun Easter treat today, one that is perfect for any of you who lost track of time and need a stress-free solution to an Easter dessert.
Do you remember the Samoa Donuts I made a few weeks back? Friends, this cake mix donut deal is just about my favorite cake mix creation of all time. Think of all the possibilites! Donuts in almost every flavor, all soft and fluffy and ready to go in under 30 minutes!
For easter, I love desserts with fruit components. True, carrot cake is always a classic and if you’re looking for an out of sight recipe please check out my Carrot Cake Easter Nest Cupcakes. But if you’re looking for something a tad different, might I suggest these scrumptious Strawberry Donuts with Vanilla Glaze?
All it takes is strawberry cake mix and a few choice ingredients, plus lots and lots of…
you guessed it..
I’ve had this four pack of Easter-themed sprinkles for ages, and I am so happy to have finally had the chance to use them. My memories of Easter growing up are bright and cheery, full of colors, candy, and smiles. That’s what these donuts bring to the table. Fun for all ages, the kids will love these bite-sized donuts with a glass of milk or on their own, and for us “regular” boring adults, these go lovely with a cup of tea or coffee.
This is even a recipe that you could get going with the help of little hands. Kids could easily mix all the ingredients together and pipe the batter into a donut pan before throwing it into the oven. If you choose to utilize a donut maker, then please be careful because the surface gets quite hot.
If your children are slightly uncoordinated (like myself heehee) then leave them the task of decorating! Sure, sprinkles will be flying everywhere, but (hopefully) most of them will end up on the donuts and your children will be so happy to have helped create these tiny adorable treats.
I was picking up sprinkles for a few days, though that’s never new in my kitchen. The mess is part of the fun, after all, and in no time I had cute and sweet mini donuts, perfect not only for Easter, but any springtime soiree.
Strawberry Cake Mix Donuts
- 1 box Strawberry Cake Mix
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp melted (and slightly cooled) butter
- Preheat your mini donut maker (or your oven to 350 degrees) and spray donut maker or pan with cooking spray.
- Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and beat with hand mixer until you attain a uniform mixture, about 60 seconds.
- Pour donut batter into a ziploc bag, then snip off the end and use it to pipe donut batter into pan/donut maker.
- Bake in donut maker or your oven for 3-4 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a donut comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack while you make the frosting
for the glaze/frosting:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tbsp heavy cream
- Whisk together sugar and cream until thick glaze forms. Add a little more heavy cream if mixture is too thick, or a little more powdered sugar if too thin.
- Dip half of donut into frosting, then cover with sprinkles and let sit until dry.
All Photos And Writing Copyright © 2013 Jessica Gonzalez | On Sugar Mountain