#MuffinMonday : Nutella Sea Salt Muffins
So you may have noticed from the title of this post; but these muffins: they’re full of nutella. And it’s sort of awesome.
And by sort of awesome, I really mean “oh my goodness these muffins are so chocolatey and nutella-y I want them for breakfast every day.“
Nutella-y? Nutella-esque? You get the idea.
Full of nutella.
And sprinkled with sea salt.
Do you remember the nutella fudge with sea salt I made a few months back? It’s perhaps one of my most favorite fudge recipes, and so I thought:
What if I could have this fudge for breakfast every day…
but not in a crazy diabetes-inducing way….but in a totally not that bad for you way?
And then poof! These muffins appeared.
It could be due to the fact that my muffins have yet to implode or explode all over my oven, but I am really enjoying these little baking adventures each Sunday night. I always find baking to be the best stress-reliever, but muffin creations are probably the only form of scientific experimentation that I enjoy. Maybe if my science teachers had taught chemistry via the Alton Brown method, I would’ve hated science a little less.
At any rate I would’ve been less hungry in class.
But back to these muffins. They are absolutely perfect in a quick pinch for breakfast or a meal on-the-go, and they come together in less than 45 minutes. Probably less than 30 if you aren’t stopping every moment to snap a quick photo.
Simply combine your dry ingredients, your wet ingredients, and then mix ‘em both together. Sprinkle a little sea salt over the top and into the oven they go.
And out pop decadent chocolate muffins with a hint of hazelnut, and that sweet-salty sensation many of us have come to know and love.
You could, of course, leave off the sea salt sprinkle and decrease the sea salt in the recipe. I’ve just realized how much I love salty and sweet treats; but omitting the sea salt will simply leave you with a lovely hazelnut/chocolate muffin.
I’m always looking for new muffin ideas to test out, so if you have a craving, leave a comment! I’m thinking something Oreo-related in the near future, because who doesn’t want Oreos with their muffins?
Tomorrow I’ll be sharing an awesome recipe I discovered that is simple and quick enough for college cooks, but still packs a punch flavor (and nutrition!) wise. So be sure to check back and see what’s up!
Nutella Sea-Salt Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt, plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup nutella, melted slightly in microwave (30-45 seconds)
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line one 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, and sea salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, egg, nutella, and milk until well combined.
- Pour wet ingredient mixture over dry ingredient mixture and stir with wooden spoon until just combined.
- Scoop or pour a scant 1/3 cup batter into each muffin cup.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 7-8 minutes, then quickly sprinkle with a dash of sea salt and place back in oven for another 7-8 minutes
- Muffins are done when they spring back lightly when touched or a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs attached.
- Let cool in pan for 2-4 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
All Photos And Writing Copyright © 2013 Jessica Gonzalez | On Sugar Mountain