Meyer Lemon Pound Cake
Today will be a short post – I only have two weeks here with the fam before heading back for….THE FINAL COUNTDOWN (cue lame music)
I mean final semester of college.
But I couldn’t just avoid baking altogether. One, why would anyone want to do that and two, after getting here Thursday night, on Saturday morning my father exclaimed “You’ve already been here this long and you haven’t baked a thing!”
We are not a patient family.
After all the peppermint/chocolate cookie madness and sugar plums of Christmas, I wasn’t craving anything crazy sweet. How happy was I when I stumbled onto this recipe for Meyer Lemon Pound Cake on Tracey’s Culinary Adventures.
Is anyone else totally mind blown that citrus is in season now? I forget that the southern half of the country still has nice weather, but really, doesn’t citrus make you think of easy, breezy, summer?
Well, let’s pretend it’s summer. Just for this post. Well, and any other post I do involving citrus in the middle of winter. Shhh it will be our (and the internet’s) little secret!
I cannot leave without mentioning the other, possibly slightly more true reason, for this post being so short. In attempting to follow my new mantra for 2013 “Strive for Progress, Not Perfection” I attempted to mess around with this strange contraption of a light box my mom had lying around the house:
Not sure why I thought it was magical and would automatically make my photos gorgeous and Gawker-worthy. I sort of only managed to get one or two good photos, but hey: progress! I think some stronger lights might do the trick so please just bear with me as I experiment this month.
Later this week I’ll share an awesome recipe for no-knead artisan bread – so be sure to check back Thursday!
Meyer Lemon Pound Cake
P.S. If you don’t have/can’t find Meyer lemons, use equal parts lemon and orange zest for the zest in the recipe, and equal parts lemon and orange juice. It’s still delicious! And no one (I won’t tell!) will know.
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tbsp Meyer Lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp Meyer Lemon zest
1 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
1 cup butter, room temp
5 eggs, room temp, beaten
Meyer Lemon Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp Meyer Lemon Juice
1. Preheat oven to 325 and grease a 9 by 5 loaf pan with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk sour cream with Meyer lemon juice. Set both aside until ready to use.
3. In large bowl, combine sugar and zest. Rub between fingers until sugar is and zest are well combined and fragrant. Beat in butter until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl.
4. Beat in eggs in 3 additions, making sure all is well incorporated, scraping down the bowl if necessary.
5. Alternate mixing in the flour mixture and the sour cream mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Mix until well combined.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 325 for 55-65 minutes or until thin knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes then transfer loaf to cooling rack to cool completely.
7. Make the glaze: Whisk together powdered sugar and juice until thick glaze forms and no lumps remain. Pour over pound cake and let dry before slicing.
All Photos And Writing Copyright © 2013 Jessica Gonzalez | On Sugar Mountain